If you do no have sufficient income to qualify to rent, it is possible to have someone co-sign with you on your rental application. This is common for students who aren't working and their parent(s) intend to pay the rent for them. Please note that co-signers are named on the lease and are held equally responsible for the payment of rent and all other terms and conditions of the rental agreement. As such, they can be named in a legal action.
Here's what you need to do:
- All adults that will actually occupy the unit must complete the rental application (see below), submit all the requested attachments, and pay an application fee. We will run a credit report for you even though you aren't paying the rent.
- All co-signers must also complete the rental application, submit the requested attachments, and pay an application fee.
- All adult occupants and their co-signers must qualify as a group. All of their names will be included in the lease. If anything happens during your tenancy that leads to some sort of legal action, your cosignor will be "on the hook" for that action.
- If you have any additional questions about co-signers, please contact us at the office and we will be happy to talk to you!
- (408) 286-8840 (Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.)